Wednesday, March 9, 2011

VM2011 Part 2

On Sunday, Ida, Christian, Silvano, and I went back to Holmenkollen for the final day of VM2011.  On this day, there was the Men's 50km Cross-Country.  Norway took GOLD! and we were there right in the heat of it.  But first, the Journey to HolmenKollen....

I've never seen so many Norwegians trying to get onto a train in my time here.  I felt like I had stepped out of Europe, and landed in the business district of Tokyo.



We found a nice photo opportunity at the crest of a hill near the halfway point of where we were walking.


I have no idea what I am squinting at...but surely it was some kind of scandinavian absurdity.



Christian knew of a spot where we could watch the event....once we got there, we figured out that we weren't the only ones who knew about this place.


Of course, we made ourselves at home in the snow and hunkered down to watch the event.


The skiing started about one hour later. and The crowd moved from one side of the hill to the other to watch and yell out "Heia"  (which sounds like "Hi-Yah" to an English speaker)  it is their way of saying "Let's Go!" and "Hooray" at the same time.



Ida and I had been commissioned to find a nearby bathroom so that we would know where to go if nature calls....we took this photo right before we left, in the case that we didn't return from the Norwegian Woods.



When the racer who was in first place position had reached 40km, we quickly moved our group to another large area, where they had a big-screen and people could see the finish of the race.  It was PACKED!


That big empty spot towards the right-hand side is where the little kids where sliding down the hill and tripping over each other.

Anyway, This is the spot where we watched Peter Northug (who is only 8 months older than me) take First place!  the crowd was crazy and singing songs and blowing horns and dancing and kissing, and it was fantastic!  That was how we ended Sunday.

Monday came, and Ida and I decided that it was time for me to give skiing a try.  I hadn't been skiing since I was about 8 years old, and I had my doubts....which were confirmed, after I fell down about 3 times.



But after a while, I found my balance and a rhythm to the whole process, and I made some good progress.  I still can't stop, turn, or go down hills, but I feel like I accomplished something.
































































That's all for now!  I will blog more in the future.

Oh, and Ida and I finished the series "LOST"  and neither one of us can recommend it.  It had a really weak ending that you could predict by season 3.  At least our real world experiences are a million times better than anything hollywood can pump out.

I will keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment